–DAARA General Rules
The primary objective of DAARA is to promote the preservation of vintage race cars in an exhibition racing format, which emphasizes driver safety and courtesy. The hobby is intended to provide a format for friendly competition with vehicles prepared accurately to their era. All racing is dangerous and only the proper attitude of the driver and the complete preparation of the cars may reduce the danger.
1. At all DAARA event the word “racing” always means “exhibition racing”, not all out racing.
2. Full safety gear MUST be worn when push starting any car, in a SAFE PART of the pits, or on the track.
3. 10 mph pit speed limit for ANY vehicle, except when push starting a car.
4. Only licensed drivers will be allowed to operate ATV’s and golf carts in the pits.
5. Suspensions or probations will be determined by a vote of the Board of Directors, at the track, or during a meeting.
6. Any class requiring a full face helmet will require a doctor’s excuse and a DAARA disclaimer to be exempt from this rule.
7. Falsifying any DAARA form, may result in a penalty voted on by the Board of Directors.
8. Duplicate numbers in the same class will require an initial behind the number on the entry form and on the car. Member being in DAARA the longest time has first selection.
9. Members who have not driven at a DAARA event will meet with two DAARA Board members, prior to driving in any race. New drivers will then start at the rear of the heat and feature of that event.
10. All drivers at any DAARA event must be a current DAARA member, possess a valid driver’s license and be at least 18 years of age.
11. Stay in your lane, except when passing. Do not use “all the Lanes”. Slow is low, except when track does not allow. If you have trouble and must stop, go to THE INSIDE only.
12. You must always use jack stands when working under a car.
13. Any issues or problems will be handled by the DAARA Board Members present.
Guidelines for Speedsters
1. Lap belts with arm restraints are mandatory. It is recommended that faster Speedsters with roll bars be equipped with five-point seat belts.
2. Roll bars are not mandatory but are suggested in the faster cars. Bumpers and Nerf Bars are not required.
3. All Speedsters with a foot throttle must have two return springs on the carburetor/carburetors. Model T hand throttles must be in good condition.
4. All Speedsters must have working rear brakes. Faster Speedsters should have four-wheel brakes. It is also suggested that that they have a working hand brake.
5. All Speedster must have an emergency engine and fuel system cutoff switch clearly marked ‘ON/OFF’.
6. Speedsters can be either one or two seat vehicles that are powered by period four-cylinder engines.
7. Typically Speedsters are based on Model T and Model A Fords without major chassis or suspension modifications.
Guidelines for Super Modified
1. Car must conform to “sprint car” tire rules.
2. Car may or may not run a wing or wings.
3. Car may have radical chassis offset.
4. Car may have radical engine offset.
5. Car may have radical suspension.
6. “Skeeter” type cars will run in this class.
–DAARA Safety Rules
The rules and/or regulations set forth herein are designed to provide for the orderly conduct of exhibition events and to establish minimum acceptable requirements for such events. These rules shall govern the condition of all events, and by participating in these events, all participants are deemed to have complied with these rules. No expressed or implied warranty of safety shall result from publications of or compliance with these rules and or regulations. They are intended as a guide for the conduct of the sport and do not provide in any form a guarantee against injury or death to a participant, spectator, or official.
The race director shall be authorized to permit reasonable and appropriate deviation from any of the specifications herein or impose any future restrictions that in his/her opinion does not alter the minimum acceptable requirements. No expressed or implied warranty of safety shall result from such alteration of specifications. Any interpretation or deviation of these rules is left to the discretion of the officials. Their decision is final.
- DAARA SAFETY RULES
The rules and/or regulations set forth herein are designed to provide for the orderly conduct of exhibition events and to establish minimum acceptable requirements for such events. These rules shall govern the condition of all events, and by participating in these events, all participants are deemed to have complied with these rules. NO EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED WARRANTY OF SAFETY SHALL RESULT FROM PUBLICATIONS OF OR COMPLIANCE WITH THESE RULES AND OR REGULATIONS. They are intended as a guide for the conduct of the sport and are in no way a guarantee against injury or death to a participant, spectator, or official.
The race director shall be empowered to permit reasonable and appropriate deviation from any of the specifications herein or impose any future restrictions that in his/her opinion do not alter the minimum acceptable requirements. NO EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED WARRRENTY OF SAFETY SHALL RESULT FROM SUCH ALTERATION OF SPECIFICATIONS. Any interpretation or deviation of these rules is left to the discretion of the officials. Their decision is final.
1…BODY AND CHASSIS OF ALL CARS MUST BE REPRESENTATIVE OF A CAR 30 YEARS OR OLDER…NO STREET STOCK TYPE, NO BOMBER TYPE, AND NO DEFUNCT CLASSIC CLASS CARS…ANY CAR OF ANY CLASS MAY BE REJECTED BY THE BOARD IF THE BOARD DECIDES IT DOESN’T “FIT THE SPIRIT OF THE RULES.”(Revised 5/1/2009)
2…ROLL BARS ALLOWED ON OPEN CARS IF OF SAFE, ADEQUATE CONSTRUCTION. CAGED OPEN CARS ARE ALLOWED. ALL STOCK CARS REQUIRE FULL ROLL CAGES.
3…MAGNAFLUXING BE PROVIDED FOR STRESSED FRONT END PARTS, STEERING, WELDING, AND OTHER VITAL PARTS WHEN RESTORING A CAR OR AFTER AN ACCIDENT AND EVERY 36 MONTHS THEREAFTER. STRONGLY RECOMMENDED FOR YOUR OWN SAFETY.
4…ALL CARS MUST HAVE EASILY ACCESSIBLE KILL SWITCHES OR BUTTON AND SHUT-OFF VALVES. TOGGLE SWITCHES AND VALVES MUST BE CLEARLY MARKED “ON AND “OFF””. FLUORESCENT TAPE AROUND FUEL VALVE.
5…ALL RACE CARS (EXCLUDING SPEEDSTERS) MUST HAVE SAFETY HUBS ON THE REAR ADEQUATE TO PREVENT THE LOSS OF WHEEL IF THE AXLE BREAKS…
6...HELMETS IN ALL CLASSES SHALL BE SNELL APPROVED…ALL HELMETS MUST BE IN GOOD CONDITION OF 10 YEARS OR LESS. ONLY SNELL RATED SA 2005 OR NEWER..NO OPEN FACE OR DOT HELMETS WILL BE ALLOWED..SPRINT AND MIDGET DRIVERS MUST WEAR APPROVED FULL FACED HELMETS…GOGGLES OR FACE SHIELDS FOR ALL CARS WITHOUT WINDSHIELDS ARE REQUIRED..FIRE RESISTANT GLOVES AND SHOES ARE REQUIRED… (EFFECTIVE 12/2012)
7…ALL CARS MUST BE DOUBLE (2) SPRINGS ON THROTTLE LINKAGE.
8…DRIVERS OF OPEN COCKPIT CARS, ARM RESTRAINTS ARE MANDATORY…ALL CARS MUST BE EQUIPPED WITH AN AIRCRAFT TYPE, OR CAMLOK SEAT BELT SYSTEM, WITH AN SFI RATING OF 16.1 OR HIGHER, OF 10 YEARS OR LESS, IN GOOD CONDITION…SEAT BELTS MUST BE SECURELY ATTACHED TO A CHASSIS COMPONENT…HANS DEVICE RECOMMENDED FOR MODIFIED OR STOCK CLASSES… (EFFECTIVE 12/2012)
ALL DRIVERS IN ALL CLASSES ARE REQUIRED TO WEAR SOME KIND OF HEAD AND NECK RESTRAINT. A NECK COLLAR IS ACCEPTABLE BUT A “HANS” TYPE HEAD AND NECK RESTRAINT IS HIGHLY RECOMMENDED. EFFECTIVE 3/9/2019
9…BRAKES WILL BE CHECKED FOR PROPER OPERATION. ABSOLUTELY NO COPPER TUBING WILL BE USED FOR HYDRAULIC BRAKES.
10…STEERING WHEELS SHOULD BE SECURE AND STEERING MECHANISM IN GOOD WORKING CONDITION WITH NO BINDING IN GEAR MECHANISM… REMOVABLE STEERING WHEELS ARE MANDATORY (EFFECTIVE 1/2010) EXCEPT SPEEDSTERS…
11…COOLING SYSTEMS WILL HAVE AN OVERFLOW CATCH TANK THAT CAN BE DRAINED AFTER A RUN. NO ANTIFREEZE TO BE USED ON ASPHALT TRACKS.
12…CARS WILL BE INSPECTED TO ENSURE ALL INSTALLLATIONS ARE SECURELY FASTENED WITH ADEQUATE HARDWARE AND IN A WORKMANLIKE MANNER, INCLUDING HOOD PINS, TRUNK LIDS AND BUMPERS FOR STOCK CARS.
13…ALL TIRES MUST BE IN GOOD CONDITION WITH ADEQUATE “LIVE” RUBBER.
14…GAS TANKS AND BATTERIES MUST BE SECURELY STRAPPED AND/OR BOLTED TO THE FRAME. (FUEL CELLS ARE STRONGLY RECOMMENDED FOR STOCK CARS).
15…ALL CARS SHOULD HAVE REAR PUSH BUMPERS.
16. EACH OPEN WHEEL CAR MUST HAVE A FIRE EXTINGUISHER IN THE PITS. RECOMMEND THEM IN THE CAR. IT IS MANDATORY THAT STOCK CARS HAVE ONE IN THE CAR AND IS IN AN ACCESSIBLE LOCATION.
17..IT IS MANDATORY, UNLESS THE FRAME IS DESIGNED TO ACT AS A SKID BAR, TO INSTALL SKID BARS ON RIGHT SIDE FRONT AXEL ON ALL OPEN WHEEL VEHICLES..SAFETY CHAINS OR CABLE ARE REQUIRED ON ALL OPEN TUBE REAR AXEL CARS…ATTACH SAFETY CHAINS OR CABLE TO FRAME AND FRONT END OF REAR RADIUS RODS…STOCK CARS ARE EXEMPT..
18…CARS THAT RUN ON ALCOHOL MUST HAVE THE LETTER “A” CLEARLY VISIBLE ON THE REAR OF THE CAR.
19…MAXIMUM TIRE WIDTH RULE: 10″ TIRE FOR MIDGETS, 15″ TIRE ON STOCK CARS & MODIFIEDS, AND 18″ TIRE ON BIG CARS, NON-CAGED & CAGED SPRINTS…TIRE SIZE MUST BE LEGIBLE ON ALL TIRES OR TIRE IS ILLEGAL… (Effective 12/11/2010)
20…NO DOWN TUBE OR WINGED MIDGETS OR SPRINT CARS.
21…TO DRIVE AT A DAARA EVENT YOU MUST BE 18 YEARS OLD AND A LICENSED DRIVER AND A DAARA MEMBER… (Effective 8/22/2009)
22..AT THE BEGINNING OF EACH DAY(US VINTAGE OVAL TRACK NATIONALS) DRIVERS MEETING WE WILL PASS OUT STICKERS FOR THE COLOR OF THAT DAY TO EACH DRIVER WHO ATTENDED THE MEETING..EVERYBODY WILL LINE UP IN A SINGLE FILE AND SOMEBODY WILL PASS OUT THE STICKERS ONE AT A TIME TO EACH DRIVER AND HE WILL PLACE IT ON THE VISOR OR HELMET ABOVE THE LEFT EYE SO IT IS VISIBLE TO THE PIT STEWARD BEFORE GOING OUT ONTO THE TRACK…IF HE DOES NOT HAVE A STICKER HE MUST SEE HIS GROUP LEADER AND CATCH UP ON WHAT HE MISSED AT THE DRIVERS MEETING BEFORE HE GOES OUT ONTO THE TRACK..WHETHER THAT IS ONE SESSION, TWO, OR THREE HOWEVER HE DOES NOT GO OUT ON TRACK UNTIL HE HAS THAT STICKER AND HE DOES NOT GET THAT STICKER FROM ANYBODY BUT HIS GROUP LEADER…(Effective 8/22/2009)
23…HIGHLY RECOMMENDED FOR ALL STOCK DIVISIONS IS A MIRROR IN CENTER OF THE CAR THAT IS CAPABLE OF SEEING BEHIND YOU…ALSO ONE THAT IS MOUNTED ON THE LEFT SIDE THAT WILL BE ABLE TO PICK UP THE LEFT SIDE MOTION…
MIRRORS ARE NOT ALLOWED ON SPRINT CARS… EFFECTIVE 3/9/2019
NEW–24…INSTALL WINDOW NETS IN ANY CAR THAT YOU CAN REACH OUT THE WINDOW FROM THE SEAT.IT IS HIGHLY RECOMMENDED THAT CENTER STEER CARS WEAR ARM RESTRAINTS IF THEIR ARMS CAN REACH OUT THE WINDOW OPENING..(IT IS STRONGLY ADVISED THAT EVERYONE COMPLY WITH THIS AS SOON AS POSSIBLE AS IT WILL BECOME MANDATORY AT THE TRACKS…AT THAT TIME IF YOU DO NOT YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO COMPETE
**NEW???25 ???..All DAARA cars must have roll bars. They must be at least 2??? above the drivers head, with helmet on and made to a size appropriate for the car, installed on. It must also be made of at least 16 gage D.O.M. tubing